Tracker

>

Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 5 - Excuse me, what's a leek?

Ok, slept well..much better frame of mind today.  It's 10 am and I've already gone to BodyPump class, did 30 minutes on the treadmill afterwards AND decided to try and make a big vat of veggie soup for the weekend so went shopping!  For the first time in my almost 44 years, I did have to ask the produce guy at the store for help!  What's a leek, do you sell them?  I was informed a leek is often used for stock  (on the right track here) and that it has an onion/cucumber flavor.  Hard to imagine that but, I'm gamey.  He also had to direct/educate me in turnips and napa cabbage but we made it through.  I was surprised it totaled $20, that includes organic beef broth but sounded like a lot for soup.  It did make a big pot so if it turns out tasty (fingers crossed) I'll be into it for 3 days so it doesn't seem so expensive amortized out.  Here's the before picture:

I scrubbed and peeled and chopped for the entire first album by Lady Antebellum and repeated it for about 3 songs again after that!  Admittedly, cooking is not one of my strong points (Reference Day - 2 The Aftermath of the Squash Bomb post below) but it appears not only do I need to work on what and how to cook, but the containment of the mess created while cooking:


But the bottom line is, I won!  The veggies are in the pot cooking as I speak and no digits were harmed in the making of this soup.   I'm gonna go get in the shower and mentally prepare to sit at the DMV today with my new book, Chicken Soup for the Soul, Shaping the New You.  When I get home later, I'll have a nice pot of nutritious, low calorie veggie soup waiting for me.

And now I know about leeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment